Thursday, May 5, 2011

5/4/11 - Starting Greenfoot

Today was the first day after the AP exam.  I found out about Greenfoot from Safath and Mr.Elkner.  First I looked through some of the products that were made using Greenfoot.  This included games, but more importantly other programs.  Such programs include educational tools like the Marine Biology Case Study.
After browsing through what they had to offer, it seemed like there are many possibilities to Greenfoot. 
But, the best way to find out about it was to try it out.  So, after downloading it, I started to explore.  The first default that they presented was the Wombat Class(shown on left).  The Wombat was programmed to eat leaves, which had it's own class.  I tried to change some of the codes for the Wombat, but since it was my first time, and I jumped into it, it was somewhat difficult. 
Greenfoot seemed somewhat similar to the GridWorld case study.  For example, the syntax in the code for changing direction seemed the same.  Other examples included how one class 'ate' another class.  Overall, Greenfoot seems like it will be a lot of fun because of the possibilities that it came with.  Another plus to this program is how organized and understandable it is.  It comes with a whole set of tutorials, which I look forward to going through.   

No comments:

Post a Comment